A study on the role of mid trimester serum beta Human Chorionic Gonadotropin as a predictor of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy

Richa Rozalia Gandhi, Nihar Ranjan Behera, Radha Kanta Panigrahi


Objective: To determine whether increase in serum beta human chorionic gonadotropin between 12 to 20 weeks of gestation is associated with increase in incidence of gestational hypertension, pre-eclampsia and eclampsia later in pregnancy.
Materials and Method: A prospective observational study was undertaken in the department of O&G, SCB Medical College, Cuttack for a period of one year. One hundred pregnant women were enrolled between 12 to 20 weeks of gestation for the study. Their serum beta human chorionic gonadotropin was
measured by enzyme linked fluorescence immuno assay and all were followed up. Those who developed hypertension or pre-eclampsia or eclampsia during follow up were included in the hypertensive disorders of pregnancy group and rest were included in normal group. Both the groups were compared and analyzed.
Results: Out of the one hundred study samples 14% women developed hypertensive disorders later in pregnancy and the rest 86% remained normotensive. The beta human chorionic gonadotropin levels of the women in the hypertensive group was found to significantly higher than women in normal group.
Conclusion: Quantitative estimation of serum beta human chorionic gonadotropin in mid trimester is a very useful screening tool for the prediction of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy. It should be adopted in the routine antenatal care so that there can be a drastic reduction in the maternal mortality and morbidity.

Keywords: Hypertensive disorders of pregnancy human chorionic gonadotropin
maternal mortality

Full Text: