Application of screening test for obstructive sleep apnoea detection in systemic hypertensive patients

Dikshant R Kawale, Anil Sontakke, Jaydeep Nayse, Sonal Arsude


Obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) is prevalent in patients with hypertension (HTN). There is a lack of OSA screening in patients with HTN. Diagnosis and treatment of OSA in patients with HTN may improve blood pressure control and avoid complications of undiagnosed and untreated OSA. Hence, this study was conducted with the aim to screen OSA suspects in high risk groups of patients with hypertension using Stop Bang Questionnaire and Epworth sleepiness Scale (ESS).This was a cross sectional study carried out in OPD and IPD in Department of Respiratory Medicine, Lata Mangeshkar hospital, Hingna after obtaining approval from institutional ethics committee. Total 100 patients fulfilling the inclusion criteria were included after taking informed consent. The patients were screened according to ESS and Stop Bang Questionnaire. Out of 100, 53% of hypertensive patients were overweight / obese with mean BMI of 25.49 ± 5.43 kg/m2. According to Stop bang questionnaire, 56% and 34% of patients had high risk and intermediate risk of OSA respectively with mean score of 4.69 ± 1.68. According to ESS, 61% patients had low probability of OSA, 15% patient on borderline and 24% abnormal patients with mean score of 8.38 ± 4.688. BMI along with stop bang score showed high probability of OSA which was statistically significant. Screening with Stop bang questionnaire and ESS is helpful for diagnosing OSA in case of strong clinical suspicion with high BMI. This will avoid complications of undiagnosed OSA in patients with hypertension.

Keywords: Obstructive sleep apnoea, Stop Bang Questionnaire, Systemic hypertension.

Full Text:



Brooks D, Horner R, Kozar L, Render Teixeira, Phillipson E. Obstructive sleep apnea as a cause of systemic hypertension. American Society for Clinical Investigation 1997; 99:106-109.

Phillips C, O Driscoll D. Hypertension and obstructive sleep apnea. Nature and Science of Sleep 2013; 5:43-52.

Murray W. Johns. Sleep, a new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: The Epworth Sleepiness Scale 1991; 14(6):540-545.

Shahid A, Wilkinson K, Marcu S, Shapiro CM. (2011) STOP Bang Questionnaire. In: Shahid A,Wilkinson K, Marcu S, Shapiro C. (eds) STOP THAT and One Hundred Other Sleep Scales. Springer, New York, NY.

Bertolami A, Gonzaga C, Amodec C. Cardiac function and hypertension in patients with obstructive sleep function and hypertension in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Research Reports in Clinical Cardiology 2014;5:189-197.

Konecny T, Kara T, Somers V. Obstructive sleep apnea and hypertension. J Clin Hypertension 2014;63:203-9.

Okay A, Somers V, Caples S. Obstructive sleep apnea and hypertension. J Clin Hypertention 2008;10:549-55.

Yu Q, Yin G, Zhang P, Song Z, Chen Y. Distinct associations between hypertension and obstructive sleep apnea in male and female patients. Plos One 2014;9:E113076.

Romero-Corral A, Caples S, Lopez-Jimenez F, Somers V. Interaction between Obesity and Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Chest 2010;137(3):711-9.

Chung F, Subramanyam R, Liao P, Sasaki E, Shapiro C, Sun Y. High STOP-Bang indicate a high probability of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. Br Jo Anaesth 2012;108(5):768-75.